New Year’s Eve is one of the most stressful beauty nights of the year, and we all go to great lengths to look fabulous, whether that means spending the day at the salon or trying something special like lash extensions. But the good news is, you don’t have to go all out, and a few little tweaks to your usual routine can help your makeup last until the wee hours of the morning—and help you ring in 2014 beautifully.
1. Do a mask before you go out. I usually save my DIY facials for a night in, but spending the time before hitting the town goes a long way for getting your glow on. Look for a mask that exfoliates and hydrates to help makeup go on smoother and plump up any fine lines or wrinkles for the night. One to try: Radical Skincare’s Instant Revitalizing Mask is a favorite because it makes a visible difference in just a few minutes.
2. Prep your skin with a primer. Seriously, a primer gives your makeup the extra staying power you need on a night like tonight. Choose one designed for your skin’s needs, whether you’re looking to calm redness (try Pixi Redness Reducing Primer) or give skin a radiance boost (check out Smashbox Photo Finish Luminizing Foundation Primer).
3. Make friends with a highlighter. It wouldn’t be New Year’s Eve without a little sparkle, but subtle is key. Just a smidge of highlighter on your cheekbones, down the center of your nose and beneath your brows lends just the right amount of shimmer. Benefit High Beam is a versatile product that can be used to enhance your facial features, and you can also add a little to your foundation for extra glow.
4. Use lip liner to your advantage. When rocking a bold lip, lip liner is the key for long-lasting color (especially when drinking!). Just remember to stay inside the lines (of your lips, that is), and fill in lips with a shade that matches your lipstick. This extra layer gives lipstick something to adhere to, and helps prevent color from getting all uneven (and unattractive). And if you want to avoid being precise with your touch-ups throughout the night, just a swipe of gloss will refresh your look effortlessly.
5. Don’t leave home without blotting papers. Who wants to waste their time touching up foundation throughout the night? Not me. Blotting papers take up no room in your bag, and they eliminate shine without adding any extra makeup that can get cakey as the hours pass. Boscia offers a bunch of options that get the job done.
And with that, we bid adieu to 2013… Wishing you a happy new year, and a beautiful 2014!